I HELP LAWYERS AVOID RANDOM ACTS OF MARKETING.
As a business development coach, I partner with attorneys at all levels to balance online/offline communications and build meaningful books of business. Your digital self should mirror your real-life self. This alignment creates the kind of credibility, trust, and human connection that grows reputation and relationships.
In a post-pandemic economy, where more decisions will be made digitally, the basics behind business development and client care remain largely unchanged. I’m helping my clients adjust mindsets and methods for in-person, remote, and digital interactions in equal measure.
Individuals hire me for BD coaching and accountability. Firms engage me on a project basis, drawing on my decade of in-house legal marketing experience with boutiques and Big Law.
- Business Development Coaching for Associates, New Partners, and NextGen Leaders
- LinkedIn – Private Coaching, Group Training, Profile Makeovers
- Business Development (Sales) Training Programs & Virtual Workshops
- Firm Retreats – Virtual Workshops, Team-Building, Strategic Planning
- Lateral Integration Coaching
- Relationship Continuity & Succession Coaching
As a speaker, trainer, and facilitator, I deliver educational webinars and in-person workshops for private firms, bar associations, networking groups, industry conferences, and corporate retreats.
- The Intersection of Business Development, Social Fitness, and Well-Being ~ in support of Mental Health Awareness Month (May 9, 2023, Justice HQ, eligible for CA competence MCLE)
- From Flat to Fabulous: How to Elevate Your LinkedIn Presence with Color and Depth (May 2023, Private Client)
- The Art & Science of Reconnecting with Dormant Relationships (January 2023, ProVisors SAC1)
- How “LinkedIn Listening” Can Enhance Your Pipeline Management Strategy (January 2023, Gladstone CMO Roundtable & BD Directors Symposium)
- LinkedIn “Mini-Makeover” Virtual Workshops: Private Firm trainings and retreats, Consumer Attorneys of San Diego Women’s Caucus, LMA Tech West Conference, ABA RPTE Section, International Network of Boutique Law Firms, Environmental Law Network Young Lawyers Division, Association of Legal Administrators Sac Valley, LMA Northwest, Professional Fiduciary Association of California, Sacramento Professional Advisors Network (2020-2023)
- Putting the Work into Virtual and In-Person Networking – Tips for Working a Room and Mastering the Medium (June 2022, LMANext Southeast, 6-part virtual workshop series)
- LinkedIn Expert Roundtable – How to Gather Business Intel with Intention (April 2022, LMA)
- Harnessing the Power of Your Personal Brand (April 2022, LMANext of LMA Southeast)
- Essential Mindsets and Behaviors for Owning Your Career Calling (November 9, 2021, LMA Phoenix)
- Relationship Building and Measuring ROI and ROE (October 2021, LMANext Portland and Seattle, roundtable facilitator)
- Social Selling with LinkedIn: Listening with Your Eyes and Taking Conversations Offline (September 14, 2021, Sacramento Professional Advisors Network)
- What Law Firm Administrators Need to Know about the Newest LinkedIn Features (August 25, 2021, ALA Sacramento Valley monthly meeting educational program speaker)
- The Fresh Start Effect: How to Reboot Your Business Development Mindset, Motivation, and Methods in a Virtual Relationship Economy (June 2021, private client virtual workshop)
- You’re Invited to a LinkedIn Profile Makeover Party (April 2021, LMA Tech West Conference, co-presented with Nancy Myrland)
- Virtual Conference Value – Part 2: Coaching Lawyers to Make the Most of Online Events (January 2021, LMA Bay Area)
- Refresh Your Digital Self with a Virtual Networking Makeover (October 2020, BAWLR Virtual Self-Care Retreat)
- Communicating Confidently: Virtual Presence Dos and Don’ts [view PDF] (June 2020, Professional Fiduciary Association of California, Placer Chapter, interactive Zoom meeting)
- MCLE: How to Conference Like a Boss . . . And Stay Sane Doing It (September 20, 2019, California Women Lawyers Annual Conference, Sacramento, co-presented with Cami McLaren)
- Certified Trainer, Inspiring Comfort, Leadership Development Programs (read latest Insights Report: The ROI of Caring Leadership)
- Co-chair, Legal Marketing Association Social & Digital Media Shared Interest Group (2022, 2023)
- Co-chair, Women of SPAN, Sacramento Professional Advisors Network
- Member, Legal Marketing Association (since 2003), Bay Area Chapter Board (2009 to 2011)
- Member, International Coaching Federation
- Member, Legal Sales & Service Organization
- Program Manager, Sacramento Region Innovation Awards (2016 to 2019)
- Volunteer BD coach, Chicago Bar Foundation Justice Entrepreneurs Project (2020)
- Volunteer, WEAVE Thrift Store Advisory Board Secretary & Social Media Manager
- Foster Family, NorCal Boxer Rescue
- Pepperdine University, B.S., Business Administration, 1996, magna cum laude
- UC Davis Continuing & Professional Education, Coaching for Life & Work Certificate Program (ICF-accredited)
My background in the legal industry spans 20+ years in sales, marketing, and business development roles for service providers and inside large law firms. I’ve served as a sales executive, B2B marketer, business developer, team-builder, project manager, event planner, social media strategist, and professional development coach.
Operating as J FORESTER CONSULTING LLC (www.jforesterconsulting.com), I partner with C-SUITE SOLUTIONS to serve clients throughout California and beyond. Before launching my dream consultancy in 2017, I was a business development manager for AmLaw 200 firm Stoel Rives LLP (400 lawyers across seven states and ten offices) and Sacramento-based McDonough Holland & Allen PC (100 lawyers, now closed). In those roles spanning a decade, I supported strategic planning, marketing, and business development activities for firmwide practice groups and industry teams, including: Corporate; Estate Planning; Environmental and Natural Resources; Energy; Construction; Health Care; and Real Estate. Before working inside law firms, I sold advertising programs as an account executive, utilizing ALM’s suite of legal media products.